Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Watch: Regina Spektor - "Call Them Brothers"

Since the release of 2009's Far, I've more or less downgraded Russian-American piano songstress Regina Spektor from my favorite artist that I listen to religiously to artist I like and will listen to when the mood strikes me. Pair that with the fact that she's spent the better part of 3 years heavily engaged in some quiet composition for a musical slated for Broadway and I more or less forgot about her. With the release of her upcoming album What We Saw From The Cheap Seats, I'm hoping to recapture some of that love. The biggest problem with that seems to be a big budget studio sound she has access to. Which results quite sadly in some effects that are pretty much unnecessary - Spektor is an artist who's vocal power is best left alone with only the accompaniment of her piano or her frequent friends and collaborators.

So while each single has rolled out and I've more or less been at odds with my want to like them and my sadness that they are heavily produced ("All the Rowboats" being the exception since the production really flushes the song out), this latest release from Spektor: The video for "Call Them Brothers" has me changing my tune a bit. Originally recorded for Jack Dishel aka Only Son's sophomore album Searchlight, the two have essentially created a whole new acoustic version to be releases as a bonus track on the deluxe edition of What We Saw From The Cheap Seats. If any of the songs are as good as "Call Them Brothers" I have rising hopes for the album.

Watch the video for "Call Them Brothers" here:


And in case you missed (I pretty much did), Regina rolled out new track "Small Town Moon" not too long ago, listen here.

Regina Spektor's What We Saw From The Cheap Seats is out May 29th.

No comments:

Post a Comment